Making allergy data meaningful.

Project Problem Statement: How might we pair Small Data with Behavioral Science to create tools that go beyond a weather forecast and marketing medication toward helping people manage their allergies??

The business goal

My team was asked to overhaul an existing mobile application that was rapidly losing users to make it collect user data to drive sales for over the counter allergy products and grow market share.

The team

Me, a UI designer, a research specialist, a data analyst, a behavioral scientist, the product owner, and an agile-development team.

My role

Our insights

Most users don't understand what a pollen forcast will mean for their symptoms, and if they do it isn't really providing the context they need to know what to do.

After interviewing some severe-allergy suffers, we found that they needed help understanding how their symptoms would be affected by hourly changes in the forecast and what to do about it.

Our hypotheses

If we aggregate data from our users with data from a variety of APIs, we could serve content that helped them overcome specific challenges in the right moments.

What we did

First we needed to better understand the problem.

We had the advantage of a large amount of research and scientific thinking from the clinical R&D team, but the disadvantage of needing to catch up to internal partners who had been working on this for 18 months.

We audited the existing experience…

and developed a patient journey based on interviews with patients and healthcare pros…

which helped us understand when users needed help.

We defined features to enable behavior change interventions…

and prioritized those features…

which helped us define the user experience.

From here we worked with our colleagues in R&D to understand what data could be combined to create an insight for a user.

We determined that tracking symptoms, environmental data, and particular determinants to user success would give us a picture of a user that we could compare to the population to recognize patterns.

Those patterns became the triggers we would use to serve content. The only things left to do before designing the user interface were to figure out what content would be meaningful, and test the scenarios.

We then tested our ideas to see how users responded…

and refined the work until it passed usability testing.

What we delivered:

Then we designed the user interface and worked with our technology partners to make the MVP.